Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Dylan Trouble

Well, I'm sitting here this morning as I knew I would be writing about Dylan in trouble once again. Yesterday was his 4 yr well check up. Halfway there he decided he wanted his v-smile and wanted to go home to get it. When I refused since we were already late he started screaming and crying. When we got to to the doctor's he continued to scream and cry and hit me, so I sat him in a corner of the lobby while I checked him in. Of course while he was sitting there screaming 2 "very nice ladies" were praising him. Talk about sabatoge. Like he needed praise at that point. So then we went down to pediatrics screaming and went into the exam room, you guessed it screaming. So I talked to the dr about what to do with all of these temper tantrums and also my worry about his obsessive need for everything to be just right. He always has to have his clothes, shoes, and coat on perfectly even, straight, tight or whatever is the problem of the day. It can take 30-45 min for him to get ready with a lot of crying and screaming mixed in. So the dr said don't buy into it. It's probably just to get some control and that I shouldn't buy into it. Give him a time limit and if he has to go without his shoes or coat and get cold or wet it won't hurt him and he'll learn that he can't get away with delay tactics. So today it starts he gets 10 minutes this morning and if he's not readyhe'll go in his socks and get wet feet. It could be a very interesting day.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I figured it was pretty much a control issue. Dylan is a very smart kid and he knows how to manipulate. A few cold, wet feet aren't gonna hurt him. How are you feeling, by the way?

Deb said...

I think we may end up with similar issues with Becca in the future - she's learning the whole 'manipulate' thing already even just a 2. Good luck!!