Ok let me start with I play oboe in our local symphony and really do love being a part of it. Really I do.
Now that said, we have a concert this weekend and I'm about to run screaming from the room. First the good. We're playing Beethoven's 7th Symphony. A truly amazing piece of music. Now since we're a volunteer orchestra managing to make beautiful music is going to be a major undertaking.
Then there's the Schonberg. Now Schonberg is contemporary which means it's not exactly what you expect to hear. That's the polite description. In reality I've been trying to listen to it for the last hour while I follow my score and I keep losing my place and nhaving to start over, yep from the very beginning. It sounds like a bunch of people let lose in a room and told to play whatever they want whenever they want. Or maybe like a group with the music all mixed up. Now I should say I appreciate 20th century music in the way it's put together, just as long as I don't have to listen to it or play it. The good part is even if I played every note wrong and in the wrong place no one would ever notice. The bad part is it sounds like CRAP!!!!!!
Alright enough venting I'm going to shut off my computer and focus on listening to this "lovely" piece of music with hopefully no interuptions.
3 comments:
I am so impressed you play the oboe. I played the clarinet for a couple years in (till 8th grade) then quit. Part of me wishes I had stayed with it. My oldest plays the flute. I hope she stays with it and maybe she can be in a symphony, too. Good luck in the music. Yikes!
You sure it's not the oboe? You know what they say... the only way to get ten oboists in tune is to shoot nine of them :P -- Just kidding! :D
I'm not a fan of Schonberg either -- give me Corelli any day! :)
Hope your eardrums survive the assault!
Oboe...never my thing...I am more of a trumpet man myself...good luck with the music!
Post a Comment