Thursday, May 1, 2008

Excercise - Love it or Hate it?

I'm not sure how to start this post. I've been thinking about it for a while but the start never sounds right. I hate to exercise!! With a passion! That said in December I started doing a spinning class 2x a week. A very good friend of mine teaches it and encouraged me to start. Well I'm doing it and I hate it and love it. Love it because the people are all really nice and my friend does a good job teaching it, also I like that I'm feeling better since I did it. But, I hate the class it's hard work and I sweat a lot. I keep going becuase I know I should and I know it's good for me. Also, one spinning class is 7 weight watchers points. Now that's a good reason to go all in and of itself.

Now, I"m seeing a psychiatrist and he told me that I should be excercising 3 hours a week. ANd that will really help me to start feeling better. So, I"m trying to find ways to get more exercise. He says just 3 30 minute walks is what I need. So, I take my 4 year old to go for a walk. In 30 minutes we made it around 1, yes 1 block. Of course we had to splash in puddles, check out the worms, pick up rocks, and otherwise check out everything he saw. No exercise for mommy that day.

A couple of days later I try again. THis time I had him ride his bike. NOw this time I'll really get exercise right. Guess again. We made it 2 whole blocks this time. Woo-hoo!

So, here I am trying to get exercise and clearly not succeeding. Now what? I know I won't get up in the morning and exercise. I'm always up early in the morning, but I start slow, read the paper, watch the news, have a cup of coffee, catch up on blogging. So I think maybe evenings, but I work most evenings and by the time I get home it's usually 9:30 to 10. By that time I'm done, not heading out for a walk.

So, I'm still trying to figure this out. I'm actually trying this time to make something work, so do I get bonus points for that? My mom and dad are moving at the end of the month and they're giving me their treadmill. I"m hoping that I can make myself get on that and walk several times a week. At least then I won't have to worry about what to do with the kids, I much prefer being outside, but this will at least give me another option.

I mentioned before about weight watchers points and yes I finally went back to ww. I'm a lifetime member. I got my lifetime membership after Alex was born and then got back down after Dylan was born and have been going back up since then. Now that I"m starting to feel a little better I decided it was time to give this another try. It's not the losing that's hard for me, it's the keeping it off later.

Well now that I've rambled on forever I"m going to sign off now. I'll keep you posted on how I'm doing on WW and exercising. Have a good day.

1 comment:

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

I hate to exercise too. I have done it a few times in my life and when I did, I really did feel better both physically and mentally. I just can't seem to keep up with it. Like you, I don't know when to fit it in my day. Good luck. I hope you find the time and stick with it. It's not just about weight loss, but a healthy heart as well!