I love my children, really I do, but cooped up inside with them for 2 days of sub zero temperatures is about to make me batty. It didn't help that Dylan has a cold and was whiny and crabby today. We were supposed to go to Family fun land, but he doesn't do well with crowds, noise, and new places so I figured with him not feeling well it probably wasn't good to try it for the first time today. However, that meant I had to keep him entertained at home. YIPEE! Actually it wasn't too bad. WE did get to spend a little bit of time snuggled up on the couch watching Backyardigans. One of the not so bad kids shows.
So, I mentioned briefly that Alex wasn't feeling well in an earlier post and I figured I fill you in on what's up. Last monday after he got his stuff on to go to school he started having trouble breathing. Well, in the next week he had a bunch of times where he couldn't breathe. So, of course worrier that I am I was really worried that he was starting to show signs of asthma, but as a result of all the worry I didn't make an appointment until this past Wednesday. Well, it turns out he has Chostochondritis (spelling?) which is an inflamation of the cartilage in the ribs.
The doc said usually it presents as pain in the chest, not breathing problems, but having difficulty getting a good breath is normal with the pain in the chest. And the treatment, motrin 3 times a day for a week. Boy all that worry really helped didn't it. If I'd just taken him to the doc I could have saved myself a ton of stress. (Yes I have a point with the worry stuff) So now he's doing much better and should be fine by next week.
Now, There's Dylan. You know when it rains it pours, doesn't it. A week ago today I got a call from his teacher expressing strong concern about his behavior last week. He's always been very particular about the way things fit on his body, shoes, shirt, socks, etc. And we told his teacher that for him you can't talk him out of it, you have to fix it and then he can move on. If you try to talk him out of what's bothering him he just falls apart. So, he has been doing really well this year and hasn't had any problems coping. That is until the monday after Winter break. Last week he was a basket case. Every thing that wasn't perfect caused him HUGE amounts of worry and stress. She said she could hear him with his sweet little voice talking himself through it. "My socks are wet, my socks are wet, they'll dry, my socks are wet, and on and on" She said the thing is that he sounded so very worried, it also carried over to legos, and blocks, and projects and was such that he wasn't able to participate in class, he was just trying to cope with whatever the problem at the moment. So, I talked to the doc (at Alex's appointment, i love that our doc will do that) and he's thinking it might be time to bring in a Child Psychologist. He feels that it's starting to affect school so now we need to do something. He also asked if there was a history of depression and anxiety. So yes Dylan comes by it honestly. Now I need to talk to his teacher again and see how the first part of this week went (Supposed to happen yesterday). That way if it all went away and was just related to being back to school after break we won't go forward with the Psychologist. I'm not sure which I'm hoping for. Part of me would just like him to get some help now and to just go ahead and act on it. Things have never been easy for him and I think counseling might be a good idea to help him deal. Meanwhile I'm all stressed, again, waiting until Tuesday and I can talk to his teacher and make a decision. I don't do waiting well.
Lets hope this weekend goes fast.
2 comments:
Oh Beth, I am so sorry things are so stressful with Dylan. I hope things went better this week. Are you happy with how the teacher handled it? One thing to think about is if only one teacher has had a problem, then it might not be all him. If it is a persistent problem in all areas, then it might be more worth pursuing. At least then you would have some support in how to deal with it.
I'm glad Alex turned out to be nothing too serious. I can relate to the issue with Dylan, kind of. My oldest seems to have anxiety issues. She doesn't really have trouble with things being out of sorts but she just gets upset about the silliest things. I've often wondered if she has anxiety problems. We are actually considering taking her back (yes, back) to a psychologist. She actually had such a bad spell over winter break that she wasn't eating well and lost 4 pounds. The girl cannot afford that. Sorry, I didn't mean to go off on my kid. I hope Dylan is doing better soon, or if need be, that you can get help for him and you can all get some answers.
Post a Comment