Maybe that should be greedy kids. All I know is since early Dec. all Dylan has talked about was I want this and I want that. Now I have to say, we don't spoil our kids. They get a few toys, but not a ton and we almost never indulge their whims, unless they've saved up allowance or birthday money. However, the Christmas lists were as long as my arm.
So, Christmas night I ask Alex "Did you have a good Christmas?" and I got well not really, I didn't get and listed several things he thought he should also have gotten. Then, Dylan did the same thing. I was so angry and really glad no one else in my family heard what came out of their mouths.
Then, today both boys were wanting to go to the store to buy, you guessed it more toys, cause they didn't get enough last week. And when I told Alex he couldn't he was big time mad at me.
I've been struggling since then with how to handle the blatant materialism of my children. And with the behavior this morning we decided to try one of my ideas and teach them a lesson. So, we became "poor" for the day. We took away all but the simplest toys, no video games, TV, computer or any new Christmas presents. And we decided to eat that way too. Very simple small meals to help them experience a different way of living. So, it was PBJ for lunch and Ramen noodles for dinner. Dylan didn't like that much and got mad and wound up in bed at a little after 6. Alex took a nap, but wound up liking Ramen Noodles and was pretty pleasant by the afternoon. For me it was nice to have the TV off and spend some time reading.
I know that this isn't going to fix everything, but it made a point. Now I'm looking for other ways to help my kids see how lucky they really are. We may not have a ton of money, but we have enough money for the important things. If anyone has any suggestions I'd welcome them.
3 comments:
First, I wouldn't be too hard on them. It's the age. Diva was the same way and since she believes in Santa she couldn't understand why Santa couldn't bring her everything on her list. I told her he had to make presents for other little boys and girls, too. I also told her I talked to Santa and let him know if there was some toy she wanted that she could not have. Finally, as she kept adding to her list closer to Christmas I told her it was too late. He was done with her for that year and working on other kids. That all seemed to help.
Second, we adopted a family this year and the whole family gave up some gifts so we could buy for this family. Everyone enjoyed that.
Finally, I love your idea of being "poor" for the day. I hope it made a good impression on them. I'm sure it did even if it didn't seem to at the time. I don't know if I could get my biggest kid (hubby) to give up television for the day, though!
Happy New Year!
I shared your story with Steve on the way home from church today. What a great idea to be poor for a day. I kind of laughed though because we have PB&J for breakfast and lunch every day anyway.
I love all your new posts. It seems like you are handling this phase the boys are in as well as you can. The "poor for a day" is a good idea, and also I think as you continue to set a good example they will start to follow suit.
Post a Comment