I love my job. I love my job. I love my job. I thought I'd state that out front because I do love my job, but I need to vent for a moment.
It's just that I have been blessed to work in a large church with 3 other extremely talented musicians. An organist, a contemporary director, and the kids and bell choir director. Now I'm the only one for who the church is my only job. All of the rest have full time jobs and families. So, are extremely busy. This will be a surprise to those who know me, but I"m also the only one who is very organized and timely. The frustration is that I frequently am responisble for a lot of the organizational things that are needed for the pastors, church office, and other staff. I don't mind this, but it can be a problem sometimes.
For example sometimes people get possesive of what they view as their responsibilities. However, when they don't take care of things and it stretches out for a long time, then I get asked to step in and take over. Which of course doesn't make them very happy. Now, I don't mind picking things up when needed, because I see things very much as a team effort.
The challenge for me is that when I was hired I was specifically told that being the group organizer and go to person was not one of my responsiblities. Mostly because it was a part of the person before me's job and she tended to lord it over the others so it was decided that we didn't need someone to oversee everything to make things go smoothly. At the moment though I really wish I had some of that authority, because that would make taking over projects when needed, like now a little bit easier and maybe less contentious for everyone. Or maybe it won't be that big of a deal and I'm blowing it all out of proportion. Let's hope it'll be no big deal I'm not really in the mood to have people mad at me at work right now. Wish me luck!
2 comments:
It's tricky business moving from one of the team to a leader position. It's even harder if you really aren't officially given that position, but have to kind of take charge. Good luck! I hope it works out well, and I hope you're right that it won't be that big of a deal.
Hey I just noticed your profile still says you have a preschooler and a kindergartener.
Post a Comment