Friday, August 29, 2008

Time Marches On

HOw can it be possible that school time is here already. THis morning the boys and I took a bus ride to school and back. It was for Dylan. They call it bus jitters. We discovered that the 3 boys from playgroup are all going to be on the bus together. The boys are so excited. I can't believe my baby is going to be getting on a bus next week. And now I'm hearing rumors that they might be able to ride the bus home, too. Originally I was going to have to drop him off and pick him up each day. We're just waiting to hear next week.

We also got a letter from his teacher yesterday that totally made me cry. It started "I am the teacher:" and went on (a few exerpts)

"I will take your child's hand and guide him to where he needs to be; to the cubby I have specially marked with his name. ...

"I will lookaround my classroom and all the faces, and be reminded that every child is special-each one very unique..."

"When people work with your child, they will view him as a piece of clay with the potential to be something great. Together we will take the preciouschild you have entrusted us with, and do our best at molking and shaping him and smoothing his edges, so that he may stand as tall as possible."

"There will be no last place. We swill strive to impart to your child that in this race, everyone who crosses the finish line is a winner. We will be cheering for your child all the wayy, applauding his accomplishments. "

I pray as a I write this that his teacher will live up to what I feel reading this letter. Dylan is not going to be an easy child in school. He can be very difficult and strong willed. He also gets into mischief easily. I've always known that the rules of school would be harder on my little one. He is so smart and sweet, but it gets lost in the day to day struggles. I hope this year is a great year for him.


Last night was Alex's open house. We met his teacher and got his desk all set up. His teacher seems really nice and his classroom looks like a lot of fun. Lots of bright colors and fun things to do. He's so excited about being a first grader and having his own desk. I think he's even excited about having homework because that's part of being a "big kid" in school. He starts school on Tuesday and is counting the days. Dylan however doesn't start until Friday so we have a few more days of together time.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

What a sweet letter. Here's to us this week!