Well here I am I'm supposed to be working this afternoon, continuing prep for the fall music season, but I can't get Dylan out of my mind, mostly because he hasn't stopped talking since he got up this morning. But also because the school open house / meet n greet for teachers is Thursday night. I'm obsessing about how much to tell the teacher and how much to let her figure out on her own. Do you tell the teacher that if the classroom is too loud, or bright that he might lose it? Or that if his sleeves get wet you might as well change his shirt becuase he won't be able to let stop thinking about it?
Or is that not fair to him? Should I let her form her own conclusions? Maybe he'll do better at school than he did last year?
Is it a help or a hindrance to explain about his sensory issues? I don't know the answers to that and I can't seem to think about anything else this afternoon.
To the rest of the world he is just a normal, talkative, energetic, sweet little boy. But there's that other part that can't function if things aren't just right in his space. Like if his desk is in the sun, boy will that be a disaster. He won't be able to deal with anything else because he'll be so busy trying not to freak out over too much sun. It's hard when to the outside world they are completely normal, but they have these overwhelming needs for anything sensory to be just so.
I've been laying awake nights praying about it and spending my days trying not to think about it. I think it's worse this year because school got so rough for him last January at school.
So, I'll continue to pray and try to keep my mind busy with other things. On that note I think I'll go work on curtains.
No comments:
Post a Comment