Friday, May 29, 2009

Beach fun on Kauai

Okay so we're going backwards because I loaded the pictures backwards. Go figure.












On our last full day on Kauai we went to Ke'e beach on the far north side. I don't have a single picture of the kids swimming, but we did see 3 Hawaiian Monk Seals and since this beach is at the end of the road, literally, the coast was gorgeous.


This was also the beach where when Mark and I were walking Dylan informed Marcella he had to go potty. Of course they didn't have potties, so she told him it was a tree or the ocean, so he dropped his suit and went right there. She didn't think she had to tell him to leave his suit on and get down in the water. I kind of wish i had a picture of that.




On Thursday it was finally nice enough to go to Queens Bath. Some of us went out on the rocks and were able to catch a glimpse of some sea turtles.





There were some people swimming in one of the sections. It looked like a secluded swimming pool carved out of the lavarocks.





After hiking down to Queens Bath. Yes it was a hike down a trail. We went back to the Beach by our house. And the boys tried out Boogie Boarding. Alex actually got the hang of it after awhile. And Dylan stopped being upset after wiping out. A huge step for our little boy. By the last day at Ke'e Beach the water was fairly shallow and he was caught all the way out to where the water was at neck height. I think he's loosing his fear.









On Tuesday we went to the other end of the island all the way to the canyon look out. Pictures of that later. And then came back to Po'ipu beach on the South side of Kauai. This beach had a lava rock wall that protected a little pond. It was only about knee deep for the adults so the kids could go all the way out to the rocks.




Grandma and the boys played in the sand and built castles to knock down. There was also some football and other ball playing in the water. On the other end of the beach was a great snorkeling spot, so Brian, Marcella, Mark, and Alex got in a little more snorkeling.










Alex and Dylan loved looking out at the waves splashing into and over the rocks.










Dylan also had a blast playing in the water and having the freedom to move around as much as he wanted without anyone following him around.

On Sunday our first full day on Kauai we went to Secret Beach. It was quite a hike down to the beach, but there were very few people there and the kids loved that.
Almost everybody tried a little snorkeling. Here's grandma snorkeling for the first time. I tried it for the first time also, no pictures there though.





Mark or Uncle Brian helped Alex do some snorkeling. By the end of the trip he was really quite good at it. And of course, Brian, Marcella, and Mark did more snorkeling.















The boys enjoyed splashing around in the waves on the beach












The start of another sand castle.

















More beach fun.
My disclaimer here is that I'm not 100% sure I got all of the beaches right with the day or the pictures. They all started to run together after a while. That and i never really had a very good sense of where we were going or coming from. Too many Hawaiian names that I could never pronounce in the first place. It was great though and for those of you who were worried about my skin cancer. I wore lots of sunblock and headed for the shade as often as possible. So, no burns and very little tan.
Tomorrow: the luau!



2 comments:

Kristi said...

Love the new layout BTW. How did you get it?

I am getting more and more jealous with each day's post. Noah got so excited when he saw your picture of the sea turtles.

Marcella said...

Awesome pics, makes me want to go back!